Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Final Push Before the Midyear Exam

If you are reading this, you are most likely already prepared for the midyear exam.  However, you are probably likely to do just a little more to build some confidence. 

I always found that for math and science classes (especially in Engineering school) it just made me feel more confident to do problems and see that I am getting them right.  Also, you may just uncover one old problem that might force you to look up and old formula or just page through your old notes one more time (like say, an axis of symmetry problem for a quadratic).  Then, when you hit that problem on the actual exam you will feel happy (oh yeah, I remember x=-b/2a) instead of feeling anxious and losing confidence during the test.

So, remember that I did provide you with a page of answers to multiple choice problems (the day I gave out the pink topic sheet). 

If I were studying, I would open my textbook and put myself in "practice test mode".  Take out 4-5 pieces of paper, set aside an hour, and then just do each of those problems as if it were the final (hey it is cold and snowy out anyways).   I would pass over any of the problems I did not feel as confident about (good test taking skill) and then go back to them after finishing aobut 50  problems I do feel confident about.  I would then spend 15 minutes really focusing on those and then check all of my answers.  Then score your test and make any decisions about what else to study.

Good luck!  And if you don't have your Trig Midterm Review Book Problems answer sheets, I am sure one of your classmates will.  If not, email me and I will scan it and get you a copy.

ps.  This can be part of your final 50 HW problems as long as you show some evidence of calculations.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Steppen, I saw that on iParent (iCue) there is an assignment called "Cumulative." I just wanted to ask what this assignment is before I leave for Model UN tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete